Although acne or pimples can develop anywhere on your body, but forehead is one of the most common areas where acne can breakout and pimples appear. Forehead is a part of “T-Zone” where the face produces most of its oil, along with the nose. The forehead is also that part of your body, which frequently comes in to contact with oils, conditioners, shampoos, dyes, hair split-end treatments, and hair mousse from your hair resulting into getting even more oil from such products than the scalp. This combination of all these factors makes the forehead more prone to occurrence of acne and pimples, particularly just above eyebrows and just below hairline. Pimples form when oil, dead skin cells and bacteria clog inside of the hair follicle. These can take the shape of whiteheads, blackheads, papule or pustule on forehead.
In this article, you will find a complete guide about forehead acne causes and remedies and treatments for acne bumps and pimples on your forehead, without leaving acne scars.
Forehead Acne Causes And Corresponding Home Remedies To Clear Acne And Pimples On Forehead
There are many causes for occurrence of pimples and acne on forehead. The main reasons that trigger them are given below:
1. Clogged Pores: This is the prime cause for acne trigger and pimple development anywhere. The forehead lies in the “T-zone”, the most oil producing area, resulting into the pores located on the forehead to get clogged more likely – leading to acne trigger. The remedy is to steam your face, including forehead, once or twice a month. But take care to not to overdo steaming, as excessive steaming is not advisable for acne prone skin.
2. Hair Dandruff: Hair Dandruff is also a prime cause for acne and pimples on forehead. The most effective remedy is getting rid of dandruff by using a good quality anti-dandruff shampoo, and wow your forehead acne will disappear fast.
3. Oily Scalp: An oily scalp tends to dribble oil on the forehead that can cause clogged pores and thus pimples can occur on your forehead. If this is the reason for your forehead pimples, the best natural remedy is to wash your hair more often to keep your scalp oil-free.
4. Certain Medications: Some medications, such as birth control pills, have a tendency to cause pimples or acne on the forehead in case of certain people. The remedy in such cases is to consult your doctor and check the medicine’s side effects concerning hormonal issues.
5. Unbalanced Diet And Digestive Issues: In case you don’t have the above issues, poor digestion can be another probable cause. If such is the case, you need to have a balanced diet. Drink lots of water and include more of green leafy vegetables and fruits in your diet. Avoid those foods that upset your tummy, such as fried foods.
6. Certain Hair Products: Certain hair styling products, such as hair spray, serum or heat protectant can be the culprits when they come into contact with your forehead to trigger acne and pimples. If such is the case with you then switch over to organic hair products.
7. High Level of Stress: This is another cause for development of acne or pimples. The simple remedy is to live a healthy life style. You can try meditation or yoga to reduce stress. Exercising, listening to music and pursuing your hobby are the other options to reduce stress.
8. Over Exfoliation: Too much of a good thing can be bad!! Although exfoliation aids in getting rid of dead skin cells and rejuvenates your skin, too much of it can lead to skin irritation and triggering of acne. Doing exfoliation is a good skin care routine, but do not do it more than twice a week.
9. Helmets and Caps: This can be a reason for those who drive two wheelers and wear helmets. As mostly people don’t clean their helmets regularly like the makeup brushes, the inside of helmets becomes sticking ground for dust, germs and bacteria. This then becomes a reason for acne to break out on your forehead. The remedies are that one you keep clean inside of your helmet free from dust and two cover your head with a clean cotton cloth while wearing helmet.
10. Hormonal Issues and Genetic Reasons: The hormonal and genetic factors can also cause forehead pimples and acne. Genetic factors are most difficult to treat. The hormonal problems can be resolved with the help of your doctor.
How To Prevent Acne And Pimples On Forehead – Best Practices
1. In the first place try to minimize the above potential triggers for acne breakouts on your forehead by making changes in your lifestyle and habits. More specifically you can follow following practices to avoid forehead bumps and pimples.
2. Washing your hair every day with shampoo is essential for forehead acne treatment. Although shampooing every day might dry out your hair, but it’s likely that an oily scalp is causing your forehead acne bumps and pimples.
3. Don’t allow your hair to rest on your forehead, as that may worsen the pimples on your forehead. Pull back and tie your hair into a ponytail. Shun using greasy hair gels and mousse.
4. One of the best ways is to prevent forehead acne bumps is to keep your forehead clean of any bacteria, dead skin cells and dermis by washing your face two times a day with an antibacterial, gentle face wash. Be aware not to clean your forehead too extensively and make it sure to use washed bath towels, but not the someone else’s towel. Do not scrub, but just pat dry your forehead.
5. Use Mild Hair Products: If you have substantial forehead acne bumps; avoid using oily hair products – use gentle hair products devoid of excessive fragrances and chemicals, as they can drip down onto your forehead to clog the pores causing skin irritation and acne breakouts on your forehead. If you have oily hair, wash your hair more often to prevent seeping of oil from hair onto your forehead. Also keep long hair away from your face and forehead.
6. Minimize Use Of Cosmetics: Consider avoiding use of too much make-up, toning masks, powder, blushes and oil based make-up. They tend to clog your pores. It is recommended to have some make-up free days, leaving your facial skin in its natural state. If at all you need to use make up, apply oil-free or water-based make up. Lastly, make it sure to cleanse your make-up every night before you sleep.
7. Use Your Own Clean Pillowcase and Bed-Sheets: This is a must, in case you have very oily and greasy skin. By using un-cleaned pillow cover, you let your forehead to be engrossed in oil from your own face and hair and also germs and dirt every time you go to sleep. Make it sure to wash your pillowcase at least two times in a week.
How To Get Rid Of Pimples And Acne On Your Forehead – Forehead Acne Treatments
1. Benzoyl peroxide: Apply a very thin layer of 2.5 percent benzoyl peroxide onto your whole forehead. It kills the bacteria, known as P. acnes, which contributes in the formation of pimples. If you don’t see any positive result after using it for 4 to 6 weeks, try a higher formulation of this medication. (Buy here at best price)
2. Lactic Or Glycolic Acid: These acids work as a spot-on treatment. Dermatologists recommend hydroxyl acid, as it works to dry out surface of the pimple, peels and sloughs it off. It also helps in reducing inflammation. Start with 10 percent formulation, and if it does not give results go for higher ones. (Buy here at best price)
3. Exfoliat With Salicylic Acid: Cleanse your forehead twice a week with an exfoliator containing salicylic acid. This works to get rid of dead skin cells from the surface of your skin. Salicylic acid works by penetrating the hair follicle and helps preventing development of clogs formation. (Buy here at best price)
Best Home Remedies To Reduce Pimples And Acne On Your Forehead
Apply the following home remedies and natural treatments to get rid of acne bumps and pimples on your forehead fast, without leaving scars:
1. Clay Mask With Tea Tree Oil: Prepare a thin clay mask with water. Add few drops of tea tree oil, and apply the mask on your forehead. Leave the mask overnight, and rinse it off in the morning. Cover your pillow with a clean towel to avoid mess. This natural mask will cure the acne bumps and pimples on your forehead.
2. Lemon Juice: Dab a few drops of lemon juice over the zits on your overhead, leaving it overnight. The best time for this home remedy to use is at night. Make it sure to not step out in the sun, if you apply it during the day. Lemon juice makes your skin photosensitive that can be damaged by the sun light / rays and cause skin blemishes. If you apply this remedy regularly, it will reduce the appearance of acne and pimples on your forehead.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar: This is another good natural remedy for forehead pimples. Simply dab a little bit of apple cider vinegar once or twice a day over your forehead zits.
4. Mustard Powder And Honey: Mustard contains natural salicylic acid. Most of over-the-counter acne medications contain salicylic acid as an active ingredient. Mix a little bit of mustard powder with honey to apply over the forehead zits, leaving it on the zits for 15-20 minutes. Rinse it off. Mustard is also packed with vitamin C, zinc, and omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, which all are good for your skin – making it healthy and glowing.
5. Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil is well known to very helpful in curing forehead acne and acne in general. Take a cotton pad and soak it in water, and then wring it well. Just put 2 drops of tea tree oil over it and apply it on your forehead acne and pimples. Tea tree oil contains antibiotic properties that can exterminate acne causing germs and bacteria.
6. Orange Peel: Take orange peel and grind it with some water to make its paste. Dab it over your forehead for getting rid of pimples and acne. Let the mixture sits on your forehead for about 5-10 minutes, and then rinse it off with water.
7. Tomato Mask: Do you know that tomato is not only good for your health, but its mask can be used for treating acne as well as the acne scars. Just cut a tomato and scrub it on your forehead two times a day. Tomato is packed with antioxidants, thus its juice is very effective in healing acne and acne scars.
Caution: Excessive use of tomato juice can lead to dryness, so dilute the juice with water if you want to use more than two times a day.
General Tips About How To Clear Forehead Acne Bumps
1. Avoid pricking or popping pimples, as this can lead to permanent scarring.
2. Try to use oil-free or water based beauty products, including moisturizers and sunscreen.
3. If you don’t observe any reduction in your forehead acne in about 4 to 6 weeks, consult a dermatologist.
4. Make it sure not to touch your forehead with your unwashed hands. Keep yourself hydrated to prevent aggravation of forehead pimples and acne bumps.
5. Your forehead acne will be cured fast if you keep your body well-hydrated. Drink 8-10 glasses of water in a day to keep your skin well hydrated to help prevent occurrence of acne.
Choose and try some the above natural remedies for getting rid of forehead acne bumps and pimples. However in severe forehead acne cases, it’s best to consult a dermatologist.